Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Very Serious Posting

What we'd been dreading has happened. At age 81 my (and my sister's of course) mother has moved off this life. It happens to everybody of course, and sometimes we forget that the natural way is that children bury their parents and not the other way around. So many wars, drunk-drivers and plain pointlessness make too many parents bury their children.

Anyhow, I flew over to Dad, my sister joined us, along with her rude-boy, and a friend of the parents.

At the ceremony, we put on a CD of Faure's requiem, and I read that poem which of course was out of the original context but seemed like the best thing to say.

If you can't follow the link, then here's the text, note all and any copyrights:

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours
and yours
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be
but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours
and yours
If you know the background to the poem, then you'll know that the line about the long green grass is a lump in the throat.
Apart from that, I said the beginning and end of the Kaddish and left it at that, as anything else would have been superfluous.
The next posting will probably be about the start of a new life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home